Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Goal Progress - End of September 2014

At the end of each month, I post an update of my goals, including a brief discussion of any notable events that might have occurred during the month. The latest month's figures can always be found under the Featured menu in the menu bar at the top of the blog.

Last updated: End of September, 2014
Current value: $7,324
Change from last month: - $140
Percent of Goal:  6.74%



Note that the funds in this account are invested in stock, so there will be fluctuations in value that are outside my control. I never withdraw money from this account, so any dips are purely due to stock price changes.

Events Of Note Last Month: This month's account value is actually less than last month, despite the fact that I contributed $450 to the account during September. The decline in value was due to the drop in price of Realty Income Corporation's stock. As my balance gets larger and the number of shares I own grows, the value of this account will fluctuate more and more with the price of the stock. I now own 177 shares and over the last month, the price went from around $44.50 per share to around $40.80 per share. This doesn't concern me too much. As I have mentioned before, I buy this stock for the monthly dividend and my holding period is middle to long term. Once I get around $20,000, I'll sell the stock and move the money into a hard money loan. Until I reach that level though, I expect the monthly updates to be more volatile from here on out as the share price will have a more pronounced effect on the value of my account.

The $450 I added in September came from a variety of sources. Some was from my regularly budgeted contributions. About $165 was from sales of my on-line courses. I sold my Lord Of The Rings Online lifetime account for $150 and those proceeds were thrown into here. I also received $35 in dividends from the stock.


0 comments:

Post a Comment