Wednesday, March 6, 2019

New Worth Update: End of February 2019

At the end of each month, I post an update of my net worth, including a brief discussion of any notable events that might have occurred. The latest month's figures can always be found under the Featured menu in the menu bar at the top of the blog.

Last updated: End of February, 2019
Net Worth: $934,845
Change from last Month: +$26,297

Events Of Note Last Month:


Ava hit 10,000 miles! I still love the car!

Heading home to charge
I can't believe I've put 10,000 miles on the car in just over 5 months of ownership, but 3,200 of those miles were from our holiday road trip to Arizona.

My SQL courses on Udemy generated $62.69 of income. My courses on SkillShare, meanwhile, earned $23.59. I also received a year-end bonus from my work. After taxes, I netted $6,300.

We had some big expenses this month. Foremost, obviously, was the cost of buying a new car. The bonus really helped on that.

We also replaced both my and my wife's cell phones. We each had an old Galaxy 6S Edge that we've dropped several times and each of our phones had cracks in the screens. My wife already had her screen replaced once. Verizon has stopped issuing security and OS updates for the phones, so I felt it was time to get new ones. We went with Google Pixel 3 XLs purchased directly from Google. This ensures we will continue to receive OS upgrades in a timely manner. Of course, the week after we bought them, Google dropped the price $200. *sigh*

I did manage to find a used phone buyback company that paid us $20 for our old phones. It pays to shop around. Several companies I found either wouldn't give us anything at all or only offered $5 or so. iReTron gave us the highest price for our really old phones. Even if you only get a couple bucks, please send your old phones to a recycler rather than throwing them in the trash! They will properly dispose of the materials that do not belong in a landfill.

We also took a trip to Las Vegas. We have a gambling budget and I plan on losing half of it each trip. This time we did slightly worse than planned, losing about two-thirds of our budget. We had a good time though. Lots of good restaurant eating and we got free tickets to see the String Cheese Incident, which was... interesting. Good music and lots of good people watching!

Net Worth Update

Huge increase in our net worth this month! Most of it came from investment (stock market) growth.


January 2019 February 2019

























Although it looks like our cash position took a big jump, in reality mostly it's because I moved our Tesla down payment from a brokerage account ("Investments") to our checking account ("Cash"). Given that our investment total went up $12,000 even taking into account our moving about $18,000 out of it, we had some really awesome stock market gains!

My work bonus also helped drive up our cash position.

Credit card debt looks high, but it's under control. I put the $2,500 Tesla deposit on a credit card plus we paid about $2,000 for new cell phones. (Holy crap, when did cell phones get so expensive?) We've got the money to pay those off, and I actually entered the payment in my credit union's bill pay website already, but I scheduled it 3 weeks after the charges were incurred to take maximum advantage of the float.

Next week - photos of the new Tesla!!

If you have any questions or suggestions for topics, please drop me a line in the comments section!

0 comments:

Post a Comment